alt: medal code J2881

Full medal write up

link to medal write-up
back to previous page



Robert Tarbet, aged 19, mustered in to Company ‘A’ 43rd Ohio Infantry on 19th December 1861. He would have seen a great deal of action during his service and was Mustered Out on 13th July 1865 at Louisville, KY.

The 43rd Ohio Infantry was organized at Camp Andrews, Mt. Vernon, and various places in the state from Sept. 28, 1861, to Feb. 1, 1862, to serve for three years. It left its rendezvous for the front on Feb. 21, and 5 days later reported to Brig.-Gen. John Pope, commanding the district of Mississippi. It was but a few days before the regiment was introduced to active service, for in March it was under fire at New Madrid, Mo., and in all the operations against that post it bore a prominent part, especially in its final bombardment and capture, the loss of the regiment in killed and wounded being quite severe. At Iuka the regiment took part in the battle of Sept. 19, 1862, and the subsequent pursuit of the enemy as far as Cripple creek. In the battle of Corinth the 43d and 63d Ohio claim to have done more to save the day than any other organizations. In a few minutes of fighting over one fourth of those of the 43d engaged were either killed or wounded. From this time until Oct., 1863, the regiment was stationed at different points on the railroads of West Tennessee and at Memphis, assisting to keep open the communications of Gen. Grant's army, then operating against Vicksburg. In Dec., 1863, the members almost unanimously reenlisted as veterans and after their furlough of 30 days returned to the field in a body, after which the first engagement was at Decatur, Ala. The regiment lay at the latter place until the opening of Gen. Sherman's campaign against Atlanta. The loss of the 43d was quite severe at Resaca. At Dallas it took an important part and in the advance on the enemy's position near Big Shanty, Co. D participated in a most brilliant charge of skirmishers, capturing a strong barricade from the 29th Tenn. and numerous prisoners. Immediately thereafter came the siege of Kennesaw mountain, with its deadly skirmishing, its grand cannonading, and the disastrous repulse of the Federal forces on June 27. The 43d participated in the general movements of its corps until the advance of the Army of the Tennessee from Roswell upon Decatur, Ala., when it was detached to hold the bridge across the Chattahoochee at the former place until the army transportation then loading at Marietta should cross the river. During the remainder of the Atlanta campaign it shared the trials and glories of the 16th corps and won the thanks of the division commander by splendid and steady fighting. After the fall of Atlanta it enjoyed the "full month's rest," and then joined in the great "march to the sea." In the operations around Savannah it performed its full share of duty and after the fall of the city, held the important post of Dillon's bridge. Up into the Carolinas it then marched, and after crossing Whippy swamp was in due time confronting the enemy strongly posted at Rivers' bridge. Down a narrow causeway the regiment rushed amid a storm of shot and shell compelling the Confederates to withdraw their battery and uncover the crossing. The war closing, the regiment went to Washington, took part in the grand review, and was mustered out on July 13, 1865.

Condition VF, medal disc only, Regiment had severe losses at battle of Corinth.

Code J2881        Price £235